If you have been sexually assaulted…

  • Make sure you are in a safe place
  • If you feel unsafe, immediately call 911 to get emergency assistance.

Consider your options

You have the right to decide what kind of help you need. You can get help now, in the future, or not at all. Decide what is right for you.
  • Confidential support and counseling
  • Medical attention
  • Preserve evidence and consider getting a rape kit performed by a sexual assault nurse examiner (S.A.N.E.).
    • Memorial Medical Center, Heritage Building 525 S. Melendres St. Las Cruces, NM:  575-526-3437

Report an incident of sexual misconduct

If you have experienced an incident of sexual misconduct, you have the right to file an Initial Complaint with the Office of Institutional Equity

individuals also have the right to file a report with the NMSU police or with the police department of the local jurisdiction in which the incident occurred. They also have the right to decide not to file this report (now or ever). If you would like to submit an electonic report to NMSU-OIE click here.  Anonymous reporting through EthicsPoint click here. If you wish to submit a hard copy of the form instead, please click here.
  • If a complainant makes a report but elects not to initiate a formal investigation and adjudication process, university administrators my nonetheless investigate and take measures (a Title IX investigation) to ensure the safety of the complainant and the NMSU community. Efforts to protect the confidentiality of the complainant will be made but cannot be guaranteed.
  • Complainants are entitled to protective and interim measures, and access to resources, regardless of whether a formal complaint is filed.
  • Complainants have the right to be free from retaliation for reporting an act of sexual harassment, sexual assault, intimate partner violence, or stalking. NMSU strictly prohibits retaliating against an individual (which includes intimidating, threatening, coercing, or in any way discriminating) for reporting. Anyone who engages in retaliation is subject to discipline up to and including dismissal from school or termination from employment.

Get help with additional concerns and interim measures

In addition to a formal reporting process, complainants may also seek interim measures
  • Temporary or permanent housing assignment which may include relocation.
  • Alteration of, or renewal of, university directory information
  • No Contact Orders or court-issued restraining orders (to ensure that shared classes or other shared experiences are avoided).
  • Assistance in meeting their academic obligations, including additional time, rescheduling of exams, tutoring and other academic resources, planning meeting, and advising.
  • Assistance with referrals to on-campus or off-campus physical or psychological health resources.